Chocolate creme brulee with milk chocolate gems
- Preheat oven to 300 F. Assemble the brulee bowls on a sheet pan.
- In a pot on the stovetop, combine heavy cream and half and half; boil.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk egg yolks and 1/3 cup sugar. Pour the hot cream mixture over the egg mixture slowly, constantly whisking.
- In a separate mixing bowl, place the chocolate pieces. Strain the egg/cream mixture over the chocolate; let sit for about 20 seconds to slightly melt chocolate.
- Whisk mixture to fully incorporate. Ladle the mixture into individual brulee dishes, filling them almost to the top. Place individual filled dishes on a sheet pan.
- Before placing in the oven, pour hot water in the bottom of the sheet pan, filling to 1/3 of the brulee’s dishes.
- Bake in the oven, until set, about 50 minutes.
- Cool individual dishes on wire rack about 20 minutes. Chill in the refrigerator at least 4 hours; best to chill overnight before serving.
- To brulee, preheat the broiler. Sprinkle 1 tbsp sugar on top of each Creme Brulee. Broil until the sugar turns golden brown; do not burn. Let cool on a rack; serve