- Place all the ingredients in a bowl and leave to soak for at least one hour.
- Set the oven to 185°F (140°C). Gently roast all the nuts until light brown.
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Sieve together onto the creamed butter and sugar.
- Add the eggs to the mixture one at a time, blending all ingredients into a smooth dough.
- Stir in and add the marinated fruit and roasted nuts.
- Line a 9in (23cm) round cake tin with greaseproof paper. Pour the cake dough into the tin and bake for 2 to 2 ½ hours. Cool in the tin. Store wrapped in aluminium foil.
Chocolate roll-out fondant
- Soak the gelatine in cold water for 20 minutes. Dissolve the gelatine in the water over a gentle heat.
- Add and dissolve gently together without overheating. Add.
- Sieve together. Add a little bit at a time to the cooled liquids.
- Use straight away or store wrapped in cling film in an airtight container. Knead well before use.
Finishing and presentation
- Cover the cake with marzipan.
- Coat the cake with the chocolate roll-out fondant.
- In advance make some chocolate leaves: temper extra-dark, dark and milk Genauva®chocolate gemsTM, mold leaves and before they are set sprinkle with chopped dried fruits and nuts.
- Mold a ribbon by pre-cutting a transfer into thin strips: Spread tempered chocolate onto the transfer strips and curl around a knifesteel to create the curled ribbon. Place in the fridge for 5 minutes, remove from steel, carefully peel off transfer after 20 minutes. To create the bow spread tempered chocolate onto the strips one at a time and on setting fold together. Again place in the fridge for 5 minutes. After 20 minutes carefully peel off the transfer.
- Arrange the chocolate leaves on the cake in a wheat sheaf design attaching with tempered chocolate.
- Arrange ribbon and attach with tempered chocolate.